6 July 2016
When planning for retirement, don’t overcomplicate – sometimes, “keeping it simple” is priceless. Rigby Financial Group can design a plan to simplify and strengthen your retirement strategies to meet your individual needs and goals. Contact us to see how RFG can help tailor a plan for your unique situation. Some general strategies you may want to consider are:
If you have worked at various companies over the years, you may have a variety of retirement accounts associated with past jobs. Consolidating all retirement assets from previous employers (401(k)s, 403(b)s, SIMPLE IRAs) into a single account can help you stay on top of your savings.
Consolidation is also an opportunity to ensure that your account beneficiaries are chosen appropriately for your current situation – your earlier retirement account(s) may not have been updated to reflect a subsequent marriage, or children.
2. Keeping it “Simple” – Living Below Your Means
Don’t be a victim of your own success! Before you make “status symbol” purchases – that fancy car, that vacation home, ensure that you are putting 20% to 25% of your income toward retirement regularly – you will reap rewards down the road.
3. The Financial “Basics”
A strong financial foundation is the key to any retirement planning. Make sure you:
• Have cash reserves on hand to cover three to six months of living expenses
• Have planned for “life events” – you should have in place an updated will, medical and durable powers of attorney, guardianship arranged for your children, and life and disability insurance policies in force to replace your income should you be unable to provide for your family as you do now.
• Are saving at least 15% to 20% of your gross income for retirement. Think of this as paying yourself first.
• Manage your expenses – keep fees and taxes in check. Monitor your invested assets (including those for retirement) and their expense ratios. Take all the tax deductions and credits you can – don’t forget contributions to charity and your health savings account. Shop for your services – e.g., internet, TV, utilities – to ensure you are getting the best features for the lowest price.
Life, inevitably, will get busy. Decisions will need to be weighed, financial priorities will change. Your financial plans will need to flex as you do, and should be revisited, realigned, and refocused toward your overall goals in light of your current needs.
Call us to find out how RFG can help plan for your financial future. Together, we will create and implement an individually-tailored strategy, designed and fine-tuned for your unique situation, to take care of your needs – today, and tomorrow.
The above represents general advice. When it comes to planning, one size does not fit all. Rigby Financial Group provides highly individualized, specifically tailored plans for individuals and businesses. Please contact us for advice and assistance in creating a specialized plan that suits your unique situation.
The information presented here is not specific to any individual’s personal circumstances.
These materials are provided for general information and educational purposes based upon publicly available information from sources believed to be reliable—we cannot assure the accuracy or completeness of these materials. The information in these materials may change at any time and without notice.